AVAIL_westside high_11.10.22.JPG

Shown in October is the former Chadbourn Middle School, which was Westside High School from 1948–1969. The campus has been vacant since 2018, when CMS was merged with Evergreen Elementary School in a cost-cutting move by Columbus County Schools. Staff photo by Diana Matthews

According to an Oct. 7 notice from the National Park Service, the former Chadbourn Middle School is now listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The campus was the home of the Westside High School attended by Black students from 1948 until 1969. 

The vacant campus at 801 W. Smith St. consists of four parcels of land, three belonging to Columbus County and one, containing a playground and basketball court, to the Town of Chadbourn.